The city of Champlin is named after Commodore Stephen Champlin, active in the war against Canada & England in 1812 and in establishing the border between the US and Canada. Champlin itself, is a smaller city in the northwest corner of the Twin Cities metro area of only 8.8 square miles, .6 of which is water.
More Homes & Real Estate
One of its main thoroughfares is highway 169, running north south through the center of the city. For travel east and west, highway 10 runs just north of the city and 610 just south of it.
This city is estimated to house over 24,000 residents and was initially settled after Father Louis Hennepin (namesake of Hennepin County in which it is located) was captured by the Sioux Indians along with Michael Accult and Peter Dulay.
Eventually an Indian trading post was established in what was called Marshall Township, which later (1859) split into the towns of Dayton and Champlin.