Can I Sell My Home Myself?
It is certainly possible. Let's look at the pros and cons and you can decide for yourself.
When you are sell your own home:
- You will save 2% to 4% of the price of your home since you are only paying the Buyers Realtor. You represent yourself as your own independent agent in the transaction.
- You are responsible for all your own advertising, as much or as little as you want, but you will not be listed on the MLS. Only a licensed Realtor can do that.
- You should have a flyer box available for anyone passing by and have a clearly posted yard sign to gain attention of anyone visiting that street.
- You will also need to be ready to set up your own showing appointments, set up a lock box for showing agents, hold your own open houses and handle buyer questions.
- You are responsible for all your own paperwork, required documents, and negotiation your own offers. It is recommended you have an attorney on hand to be sure you have everything you need to avoid getting sued later… or worse, losing your property.
- Be prepared to take a bit longer (6 to 9 months longer than using an agent, on average in MN), since 95%+ buyers come right off of shopping the MLS listings.
When you have a Realtor sell your home:
- You pay 2% to 4% more than doing it yourself.
- Your main responsibility is having your house ready to show at a moment's notice.
- Your home will be professionally assessed and 'comped' to be listed at its optimal price for the current market.
- Your home will be listed on the MLS, so you will get more buyer traffic and more offers sooner.
- Your home will also typically be shown in open houses, advertised in the local paper, online, via radio and often TV, depending on the agent.
- Your agent will provide regularly stocked flyers, a flyer box, for sale sign, lock box, MLS photos and information, room dimensions and legal description as well as set showings and convey showing feedback.
- Your agent handles all paperwork, closing and title information, negotiates the best price possible on your behalf, and acts as your attorney for you.
You can easily see why the vast majority of sellers choose to have a professional licensed agent step in to sell their home. You wouldn't try to be your own attorney, or surgeon, or dentist. It's logical to go to the people who have gone to school and are licensed to do what they do.
Our team is service oriented and you will have access to our full time agents, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week as well as our office client coordinator and agents assistants to get you what you need on the spot, no waiting.
Call or email us if you have any questions about Selling Your Home, we are happy to help!
Direct Line: 612-644-5380