Buying A Minnesota Home
If you’re thinking about buying a home, you may have questions about the market, financing, finding a good Realtor, and even just how to get started. Since a home is probably the biggest purchase most people make in their lives, it’s good to keep informed and educate yourself about the process and the current market.
Buying a home doesn’t need to be a daunting task, (no matter what the news has to say about the current real estate market). It’s true home values are low right now compared to the market peak of a few years ago. But if you think about it, if you are buying a home, isn’t that what you want?
Just like stocks that ebb and flow, the best idea is to “buy low” and “sell high”. And since prices are relatively low, it is actually an ideal time to buy!
If you haven’t already met with a good lender, we can help make some recommendations for you. Check out our
resources page for some recommended local lenders who can assist you. They are prompt, professional and will cater to your specific-needs. You don’t even have to see them in person, much of the process may be done over the phone, via email and on the internet.
They will help you determine:
- What you can afford (your maximum limit)
- How to improve your credit score
- What loan is best for you
- What your monthly payments will be
- What your interest rate will be
- What your realistic price range should be
And of course, they will answer all your financing-questions too!
…Keep in mind that interest-rates are at historically very low rates and government incentives are strong. When considering if this is the right time to buy, you may want to discuss these factors with your preferred lender.
Finding A Good Realtor
When you’re ready to hire a Realtor, you’re going to want the best. This is because your Realtor is like your own personal-attorney working for you. This is the expert that will walk you through all of the paperwork, answer all of your questions, make recommendations, and help you to make smart-decisions about your house so that you have a smooth and easy buying experience…
People who try to be their own Realtor (like trying to be your own attorney) usually lose thousands of dollars in the process, and just end up hiring a Realtor after all.
If you’re buying a home, you want someone who knows the area and will negotiate the best possible price for you. Remember too, in this case you don’t pay your realtor – their commission comes right out of the seller’s commission. That’s why almost all buyers use a Realtor.
There is NO monetary-savings to representing yourself, so why not have an expert working for you if the price is the same?
…As a seller, you also want someone that is proficient in your neighborhood, and will bring the largest number of buyers and offers to you. This is where advertising is important. Well over 95% of buyers start their search online. A strong internet-presence is KEY to selling your home (just like you found this site). Agents should walk you through all the advertising venues they use when they first meet with you to help you make your decision.
It has also been said that past-performance is the best predictor of future-performance. If that is the case, we would be remiss not to share that our team (The MN Real Estate Team), have been the #1 Re/Max Selling Team in Minnesota for the Last 3 years Running, selling over 450 homes last year alone! (and we just couldn’t miss a chance to brag!)
…Lastly let’s address the number one complaint of all people surveyed after buying or selling a home with a real estate agent: lack of service and lack of communication.
Because of this deficiency in the industry (for whatever reason), our team has put into place some superior structures to insure that everyone get called back as soon as possible, get regular updates on their needs or perspective homes in their area, or whatever else might be needed.
Here are just a few of the many services we are proud to provide our customers:
- MLS Search Saver – whether you want to watch homes in your neighborhood, or receive regular updates of homes that fit your criteria, our Search Savers will send you regular updates, right to your email, you don’t have to do a thing!
- Agent Service – ALL of our agents give out their cell phone numbers and are FULL TIME Realtors. They’re not 9-5 Monday through Friday. They not a full time employee somewhere, with their real estate license on the side as a hobby. ALL agents are full time agents that you can contact day, night, weekdays, weeknights, weekends and everything in between. Our commitment is to get back to you within one business day, but our goal is to be much faster than that! And our assistants, listing coordinator and client concierge are there to insure that…
- Listing Coordinator Services – when you list your home with one of our agents you also have a full time office coordinator to take your calls, answer your questions and make sure everything is going smoothly.
- Client Concierge Services – the coordinator and client concierge is also available full time to help with the buying process, so there is always someone managing that your buying process is effortless.
How To Get Started
Most people who are ready to buy a home, start their search on the MLS. The most efficient way is to save your search which will automatically remember your favorites on the MLS. If you find some listings you like, use the “request a showing” feature to request the times that work best for your schedule.
If you are concerned with being able to sell your existing home first, you may want to browse our sell your home page for more information.
Call or email us if you have any questions or concerns, we are happy to help!